Some Archived News and Announcements:
More recent News and Announcements
- Oct, 20, 2010: Sherry Gong wins the 2011 Schafer prize for excellence in mathematics. The prize is awarded annually by the Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM) to the most outstanding
woman undergraduate in the United States, and will be presented to Sherry at the Joint Prize Session on Friday Jan. 7, 2011 at the JMM.
- Oct, 19, 2010: Congratulations to David Mumford, for winning the National medal of Science
- Oct, 6, 2010: Congratulations to Wei Zhang to receive the 2010 Ramanujan Prize.
- May, 2010: The Herb Alexander Award is given Zachary Abel. The Robert Fletcher Rogers Prizes are awarded to Zhou Fan and Dmitri Vaintrob
Michael Viscardi won the Hoopes' Prize for his senior thesis. Hoopes' Prizes were also won by two of our joint concentrators: Andrei
Cristea (Economics and Math), and Chrisopher Lim (Music and Math).
- Feb, 2010: The Winston Churchill foundation has awarded the Church scholarship to our senior Math concentrators Zhou Fan and Yi Sun. This fellowship allows postgraduate study in sciences, engineering and math at the University of Cambridge.
- Feb, 2010: Congratulations to Scott Kominers for the "AMS-MAA-SIAM Frank and Brennie Morgan Prize for Outstanding Research in Mathematics by an Undergraduate Student".
- Jan, 2010: Shing-Tung Yau has received the Wolf Foundation Prize in Mathematics for 2010.
- Jan, 2010: Congratulations to John Tate for his receipt of the Abel Prize for 2010. For more information consult the prize website.
- May 22-24, 2009, Singer Conference 2009
- May 4-5, 2009, Clay Research Conference, with Herwig Hauser, Heisuke Hironaka, Peter Jones,Curtis McMullen,Yair Minsky, Dinakar Ramakrishnan, Kannan Soundarajanx and Jean-Loup Waldspurger.
- 2009: Congratulations to Mike Hopkins who was elected to the National Academy of Sciences.
and Shlomo Sternberg who was elected to the American Philosophical Society.
- 2009: Mathematics Department Graduate Student Nathan Kaplan won 25'000 on the television game show "Who wants to be a Millionaire".
Source: Bulletin [PDF]
- 2009: Congratulations to Cliff Taubes for the 2009 Shaw Prize.
- 2009: Congratulations to Dennis Gaitsgory to win the annual Joseph R. Levenson 2009 Teaching award.
- Feb. 2008: Cliff Taubes is the 2008 recipient of the National Academy of Sciences Award in Mathematics, which is awarded every four years for excellence in research in the mathematical sciences.
announcement and list of previous winners.
- Dec. 2007 John Thouron Prize for summer study at Pembroke College in Cambridge UK. Deadline extended to Monday December 10.
- Oct 22. 2007: Alison Miller will be the recipient of the 2008 Alice T. Shaefer Prize.
- Jun 13. 2007: Shaw prize for Richard Taylor.
- Graduation 2007 photos
- Jun 4, 2007: Michael Smith new dean of FAS
- HCMR launch
- Thesis Party 2007
- 2007 Putnam and Math Modeling results. More ...
- 2007 Undergraduate Prize winners: More ....
- Jan 2007: Peter Kronheimer receives Veblen Prize in Geometry
- Oct 14, 2008, 6 PM, Sci Center D: Clay Math public lecture. "A Tribute to Euler", by William Dunham. Poster
- May 12, 2008, 4:30 PM The Mathematics in Music - a concert-conversation with Elaine Chew, MIT Killian Hall (160 Memorial Drive, Cambridge MA 02139),more ...
- May 8, The Music of the Primes, by Marcus du Sautoy, 6:00 pm, MIT, Compton Laboratories (Building 26), Room 26-100 Access via 60 Vassar Street, Cambridge. more ...
- May 12-13, "Clay Math Research Conference", May 12 - 13, 2008 at MIT- Media Lab more ....
- 2008, Music of Primes
- 2008, Clay math conference 2008
- 2008, Chew 2008>Mathematics in Music
- Dec 10, 2007: Euler's Amicable Numbers, William Dunham, 4 PM, December 10, 2007, Maxwell Dworkin G-115. Announcement flyer[PDF]
- Nov 29, 2007: Elaine Chew, Music Science and the Mathematical Modeling of Tonality: Lecture and Demonstration,4:00 PM, Room 2, Music Building, North Yard, Harvard University
- Geometric Analysis, present and future, August 27-September 1, 2008
- CDM 2007, November 16-17, 2007
- Oct 7, 2007 1 PM, Harvard Computing contest teacm selection competition
- Clay Public Lecture: tech driven statistics by Terry Speed, October 30
- Lectures by Jean-Pierre Serre on the topic of "Finite groups in Number theory". Dates: 9/26, 9/28, 10/3, 10/5, 10/10, 10/12, 10/17, 10/19, 10/24, 10/26 at 9:00-10:00 AM in Science Center Room 507.
- Bok Center Teaching conference, September 11-12, 2007
- May 14-15 2007, Clay Research Conference at Harvard
- Apr 9-11 2007, Simons lectures in Mathematics 2007
- April 20-22, 2007, Recent developments in Symplectic Topology
- April 10 2006: "Surfing with Wavelets, a Clay Public Lecture
- March 15 and 16, 2006, conference on Hilbert's 10th problem at CMI
- Harvard-MIT Mathematics Tournament, Feb 24, 2007 MIT
- MCM/ICM contest, February 8-12 2007 (COMAP Mathematical Contest in Modeling)
- Dynamics Days 2007 at BU
- Feb 2. 2007, Tufts University, Education the Ne(x)t Generation
- The Putnam competition took place Saturday, December 2, 2006. The problems can be found on Putnam page